09 September 2014

Vacations and inspiration.

I had a wonderful trip to Western Massachusetts last week. It was just what I needed to clear my head and reset after a stressful academic challenge. Although I love the climate and outdoors offerings of North Carolina, I really find myself missing the culture and pace of life in New England.

After a blissful direct flight (isn't that the best?), my mother and I headed off to Webs for yarn shopping. I really wanted to purchase some yarn for some special projects and no other place has that kind of selection.

First I bought some nice gray wool for a sweater that I am knitting for my boyfriend, I have to admit that I am a little nervous about the dreaded sweater curse, but there is nothing better than pouring yourself into a project for a loved one. The sweater is Guston, published by Brooklyn Tweed and I decided that the texture of Rowan Pure Wool would complement it well.

PicMonkey Collage

I also found some super soft and pretty Grignasco Springfield Vintage on sale, a perfect match for Asimina's new pattern, Kusafiri. I'm so excited to be working on one of her patterns because I adore her sense of style.

DSC_0012

..My family and I also went to the little town of Harrisville, New Hampshire to visit Harrisville Designs, one of the few remaining woolen mills left in the US. I was disappointed that the mill itself was not open for visitors; however, the beauty of the setting and their fantastic store made it worth the drive. 

..I spent some time with my brother, an apprentice woodworker, on designing a drop spindle prototype. I'm amazed at how talented (and modest) he is, it was so much fun watching him transform a small block of wood into something functional and beautiful. You can see an example of some of his recent furniture work on my mother's Flickr.

It was a fun trip, but now it's back to work! I hope you are all well and that your weeks are full of creative energy!

10 comments:

  1. Taking a trip is always nice.
    The yarn looks amazing! all colors look so beautiful :)
    good luck with your boyfriend's sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you enjoyed your trip and found some great yarns. I know that both projects will turn out perfect and that your BF will love the sweater !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely trip! I look forward to seeing your boyfriend's sweater develop... Perhaps I'll try to knit the Fiasco one for a our 1 year wedding anniversary! (That should give me some time, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a successful trip, plenty of yarn. Loving the pattern and yarn for the BF sweater, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your trip had two essential elements: family and fiber.

    Love the yarn you selected. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your brother's spindle. This is all lovely yarn you bought. The colors are soothing and mellow. That gansey has great texture. The shawl will be interesting to see develop over time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knit a sweater for Mike LONG before he was my husband. He didn't go anywhere. :-D Worse case scenario, you'll just have to choose a new boyfriend based on whether or not he fits into the sweater. :-D LOL J/K

    ReplyDelete
  8. That will be a super sophisticated Kusafiri in those colors! And I wouldn't worry about the bf sweater curse without some hard data--you are a scientist after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like an enjoyable and much needed trip! i'm glad you had the chance to take it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I knew about WEBS when I lived in West Springfield. I would have spent a lot of time there after work and on weekends! Glad you had some time to decompress.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!